Tuesday, January 17, 2006

That Which is Measured, Improves

I first encountered the phrase "That which is measured, improves" while working as an intern in Sun Microsystems. There we were benchmarking the Solaris operating system. If something dropped in performance we could work to pin-point it and remedy the situation. That way we ensured that the OS kept getting better with every iteration.

The same process is applied to sports. People always find a way to quantify their performance. A weightlifter has a maximum weight that they've lifted. A sprinter has a best time over 100m. A golfer has their farthest drive. These measurements are the current limit that have been encountered. They set a boundary on what you know you should be able to do again because if you've done it once, you can do it again.

The ultimate aim of this is to push the boundary out again and again until it's further out than anyone else has ever been. Lift heavier, run faster, drive the ball further, slide faster. It's not always possible or realistic to break world records.
I'm a sprinter, but I doubt I'll ever get below ten seconds for the 100m. What that means is that I have to instead look at my own boundaries. I may not ever break the world record but I still relish the feeling of breaking my own personal best.


I've just come from training on the Igls track in Austria. My best time on the track for the last two years has been 55.32 seconds. Yesterday afternoon I took that down to 55.03s.

I wasn't really expecting it but in hindsight it's probably the best thing that could have happened to me. It's a real confirmation that I'm sliding better than I ever have. This confidence is the best way to be going into the most important competition of my life.
Official training for the competition starts tomorrow. Five days til I D-Day.

Incidentally, above is a picture of what a one-handed start looks like.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Davetron.... Thinking of you. M x

9:37 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

super mega davetron takes on the Challenge!! K x x

11:02 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

saw the track on Eurosport at the weekend... you must have nerves of steel.
M x

12:37 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home